High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is one of the “silent killer diseases” that can lead to major health problems like heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure.
Some of the common causes of hypertension are obesity, high salt intake, genetic factors, excessive drinking, stress, lack of aerobic exercise, birth control pills, pain relievers, kidney disease, and adrenal disease.
The normal blood pressure is 120/80 mm Hg. Pre-hypertension is anything between 120/80 – 139/89 mm Hg. High blood pressure is anything equal to or above 140/90 mm Hg.
Medication is often prescribed for hypertension along with this; there are many simple home remedies to lower high blood pressure. Try these natural home remedies to find the ones that benefits best to your body.
Garlic is one of the best thing available in kitchen which can plays tremendous role in lowering your high blood pressure. It helps to soothe blood vessels by stimulating the production of nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide.
- You can simply take one or two crushed garlic cloves daily. Crushing garlic cloves creates hydrogen sulfide, a compound that promotes good blood flow, removes gas and reduces the pressure on the heart. Moreover, you can also take it along with a cup of milk if you do not like eating raw garlic or if it causes a burning sensation.
- The other best method of taking garlic is to mix five or six drops of garlic juice in four teaspoons of water and have it twice a day once in the morning on empty stomach and once in the evening.
Lemons help to keep blood vessels soft and pliable and by removing any rigidity, high blood pressure will be reduced. Due to its vitamin C content intake of lemon juice on a daily basis can help in lessens the chance of heart failure. Vitamin C is an antioxidant which helps in neutralize the harmful effects of free radicals.
You can simply drink a glass of warm water with the lemon juice added to it each morning on an empty stomach. Do not add salt or sugar for best results.
Due to its high potassium and dietary fiber content fenugreek seeds are an effective ingredient for lowering high blood pressure.
- At first, boil one to two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in water for about two minutes, and then strain it.
- After cooling it put the seeds in a blender to make a paste. Take this paste twice a day, once in the morning on an empty stomach and once in the evening. You will surely get positive result of you follow this remedy for two to three months.
Watermelon seeds are just amazing for curing all types of heath issues due to the presence of compound called cucurbocitrin, it helps widen the blood capillaries. Not only this, it also helps improve kidney functioning. As a result it reduces blood pressure levels
- First grind equal quantities of dried watermelon seeds and poppy seeds (khus khus). Eat one teaspoon of this mixture twice a day in the morning on an empty stomach and again in the evening.
- The other effective remedy is to add two teaspoons of gently crushed, dried watermelon seeds to one cup of boiled water. Boil it for about an hour, then strain it and after cooling place it in bottle. Now, take four tablespoons of this watermelon seed water at regular intervals throughout the day.
Bananas is very helpful in reducing hypertension. People with high blood pressure can eat this amazing fruit regularly to cure it. Banana is a rich source of potassium, which diminishes the effect of sodium.
Hence, Have one or two bananas in a day. Along with bananas, you can also try dried apricots, currants, raisins, orange juice, spinach, baked sweet potatoes, zucchini, cantaloupe, and winter squash.
In hypertension it is very important to keep to body hydrated. It is recommended to drink eight to 10 glasses of water daily. Coconut water is particularly beneficial for lowering blood pressure.
Onions have also been found to lower your blood pressure because of the presence of quercetin which is an antioxidant agent.
- Eat one raw medium-sized onion daily.
- Mix one-half teaspoon each of onion juice and honey and have it two times in a day for at least one to two weeks.
Honey helps in reducing pressure from the heart along with that it also has a calming effect on blood vessels, thus it can be helpful in reducing high blood pressure.
- Eat two teaspoons of honey on an empty stomach each morning.
- Eat one teaspoon of honey with ginger juice and two teaspoons of cumin seed powder twice a day.
- The other effective remedy is to mix basil juice and honey in equal amounts and eat it on an empty stomach daily.
Apart from using these home remedies as part of treatment for high blood pressure, it is important to follow your doctor’s medical and dietary advice and go for regular checkups.