Chole biryani or chana biryani is one of the most delicious foods in Hyderabadi cuisine. The most interesting part is this is a biryani which is to be dum cooked. People who are interested in having a delicious food during the weekends can try chole biryani. Since this is a layered biryani, the gravy must be cooked first. Here are the ingredients which are to be used for making the gravy.
The ingredients for gravy are of Chole biryani
- Cooking oil – 3 tablespoon
- Shah jeera, cardamoms, cloves, tej patta, cinnamon
- Large onions – 2
- Tomato – 1finely chopped
- Ginger , garlic- finely chopped
- Green chilies- 2 finely sliced
- Coconut milk- 250 ml ( people who don’t want to use coconut milk can use curd)
- ½ teaspoon – turmeric power, red chili powder, coriander powder
- Dried chana- 1 cup
- Salt to taste
Once after getting ready with these ingredients, the ingredients needed for cooking the basmati rice can also be kept ready. The ingredients for making rice are
- 1 cup basmati rice
- Water for cooking rice
- Cloves, tej patta, cardamom, mace and cinnamon
As mentioned above, this is a layered biryani. Hence the ingredients which are needed for layering must also be kept ready. The ingredients for layering are
- Mint and coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoon of adrak
- 1 pinch of kesar
- 2 tablespoon of rose water
Once after getting reading with all these ingredients, the cooking can be started.
Procedure to make chole biryani
- In a pan, two table spoon of oil and the spices can be added once after the pan gets heated. Sauté the spices at the best in order to deliver the best flavor.
- Meanwhile, rice and chana can be soaked in water separately and can be kept aside.
- Once if the flavor comes out, the chopped onion can be added to it. The onion must be cooked until it turns brown. In case if it takes more time, pinch of salt can be added to fasten the cooking.
- If the onion turns brown, some among them can be removed and placed separately in order to use it for layering.
- The finely chopped ginger, green chili and garlic can be added to the onion which is left behind in the pan. While adding these ingredients, it is better to lower the flame.
- Once if the raw smell of garlic and ginger goes away, the chopped tomatoes can be added to it.
- The tomatoes must get cooked for about two minutes. After this all the above mentioned powders can be added to the mixture.
- The spice powders must be mixed well with other ingredients in the pan.
- The chana which was soaked in water can be dried and added to this mixture.
- In order to make it to gravy consistency water can be added to it. About 2 cup of water can be added to the mixture.
- In order to cook the chana, this mixture can be pressure cooked for about 20 minutes.
- Once if they turn soft, coconut milk must be added and stirred well until it turns into gravy. Salt can be added if needed.
- A pinch of kesar can be added in warm water and can be sprinkled on the chana gravy.
- Now the chana is ready, the flamed can be switched off and this gravy can be kept aside
Since the gravy is ready, the next thing to be done is layering.
- In a pressure cooker, the finely chopped coriander and mint leaves can be placed as the bottom layer.
- The chana gravy which was prepared in prior can be layered on the leaves.
- Above the chana, the rice which was soaked can be dried and layered.
- The fried onions can be added to the top of the rice and they can be covered with the mint and coriander leaves.
- After this layer, he kesar water and rose water can be sprinkled.
- Since the layering is ready, the cooker is to be covered with a moist kitchen towel.
- A tight lid can be placed on this towel in order to support pressure cook.
- Now the biryani can be dum cooked for about 30 minutes.
- It is to be noted that for dum cooking the flame must be kept low.
- After putting dum for about 30 minutes, the flame can be turned off. The biryani must be given a resting time of about 10 minutes.
Now the delicious dum chana biryani is ready to serve. This biryani will sound the best if they are served with raita or shorba. Since chana is used in this biryani, even the kids will love having it.