Nobody wants yellow pale smile, but if you’ve care over the last several years, your smile have gotten whiter and whiter. It’s not completely unusual nowadays to see a celebrity, newscaster, or other person overly-concerned with their appearance, to have teeth so white it’s completely distracting.
Teeth may gradually become yellow due to aging, hereditary factors, poor dental hygiene, or excessive consumption of tea, coffee, tobacco and cigarettes.
In addition, high doses of antibiotics, climatic conditions, infection and improper metabolism can contribute to discoloring of teeth.
Often people seek professional treatment to remove the yellow tinge from their teeth, but such treatments take time and can be expensive.
If you wish to get rid of yellow teeth, you can try some natural remedies. There are many kitchen ingredients that you can use to restore your pearly white smile.
1. Baking Soda: Baking soda is one of the best ingredients to remove yellow stains from your teeth. It also helps in getting rid of plaque and making your teeth look bright.
(i) Mix some baking soda with a little toothpaste. Brush your teeth with this coarse mixture. Apply this remedy once a week.
(ii) Mix baking soda with lemon juice, white vinegar or water to make a paste. Brush your teeth with this paste once a week.
(iii) Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one and half tablespoon of diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide with one cup of water to make your own mouthwash. You can use this homemade mouthwash 2 to 3 times a day.
Warning: Baking soda acts as an abrasive on the enamel, therefor do not use it every day. Also if you have sensitive teeth, avoid this remedy. For normal teeth use it once a week.
2. Strawberries: Make a paste by crushing few strawberries. Rub the paste gently onto your teeth. The vitamin C and seeds will help in removing plaque, making your teeth whiter in the process. Use this once a day and watch the yellow tinge on your teeth vanishing away over time.
Advice: Strawberries contain sugar and acid. Brush your teeth thirty minutes after applying this remedy.
3. Orange Peel: To diminish yellow tone on your teeth, rub orange peel onto them regularly. The vitamin C and calcium contained in the peel will tackle the microorganisms effectively.
(i) Clean your teeth with orange peel before you sleep every night and notice the positive results in a few weeks.
(ii) You can use orange peel powder, in case fresh orange peel is not available.
(iii) Rinse your teeth after this application.
4. Banana Peel: Rub the inside of a banana peel on your teeth for 3-4 minutes. After you are finished with rubbing, wait for some time, and then brush your teeth. Follow this home remedy for few weeks and show case your bright teeth smile to your friends.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide / Water Mouthwash: You can make your own mouthwash at home by mixing 3% hydrogen peroxide and water in equal parts. Rinse and swish around this mixture in your mouth, but take care not to swallow it. Hydrogen Peroxide has mild bleaching effect on your teeth to restore their whiteness.
Warning: Use hydrogen peroxide sparingly, as it can be harsh on the tooth enamel, cause irritation to the gums and make your teeth more sensitive.
6. Crunchy Fruits and Vegetables: When you bite into crunchy fruits or vegetables, they scrub your teeth like a toothbrush and make them whiter by removing the film that may stain your teeth.
(i) Eating other crunchy food items, such as carrots, cucumbers is also a good technique to use, if you are out during the day and looking for a fast way to brighten your smile.
(ii) This method works best with the firmest, freshest apple or other crunchy fruits like pears. A tart apple will give better results than the soft, sugary one.
7. Calcium Rich Diet: In order to re-mineralize tooth enamel and protect your teeth against plaque, have food items that have more calcium and vitamin D, such as dairy products including milk, yogurt and cheese. Remember less plaque is a sure way to whiten your teeth.
Natural Tips For Whitening Your Teeth
1. Enamel wears off over time as a natural process. So older people usually have gray or yellow teeth.
2. Make sure not to use too many whitening agents. Use them in moderation, so that you don’t lose your tooth enamel early and end up with sensitive yellow teeth, which any case you will not like.
3. Brush your teeth about 30 minutes after eating sugary or acidic products. If you don’t have tooth brush with you, take few sips of water and swish around your mouth before swallowing.
4. Don’t eat too much of sweets or chocolates.
5. Take few sips of water every hour or so and swish it around your mouth to wash away debris and residues that build up on your teeth throughout the day.
A healthy and bright smile is definitely something to be happy about. Eating healthy foods, not surprisingly, can go a long way in ensuring your teeth stay white for years to come. But having an arsenal of natural teeth whitening home remedies can improve your toothy glow without breaking the bank or exposing you to unknown chemicals and bleaches in the dentist’s office.