Aloo tikka is nothing but the potatoes which are spiced and marinated. This dish is rarely made at home but people prefer buying them from the restaurants. But it is to be noted that cooking aloo tikka is not a most critical task. They can be easily made at home. Here is the recipe for making aloo tikka at home.
Once if all the ingredients are ready, this dish can be made within 20 minutes. The ingredients are
- Baby potatoes
- Curd – ½ cup
- Low fat cream – 3 tablespoon
- Ginger garlic paste
- Gram flour – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder and chat masala – 1 teaspoon
- Carom seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 2 teaspoon
- Garam masala – ½ teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds and kasuri methi
- Oil for pan frying and grilling
- Salt to taste
- Natural color – 2 drops (orange will be the right choice)
- Turmeric powder – 1/8 teaspoon
Now, the ingredients are ready, it’s time to start cooking.
- The baby potatoes are to be rinsed well. Make sure that the mud in the outer surface is completely removed.
- The potatoes are to be half cooked in a pressure cooker.
- Once if they are half cooked, water must be completely drained. Let them to get cool down and the outer layer is to be removed. In case, if the size of the potato is too large, they can be cut into halves. Keep these potatoes aside.
- Take the thick curd in a mixing bowl. Add turmeric powder, garam masala, red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, chat masala powder, kasuri methi, carom seeds and salt as required. Mix these ingredients well.
- Add gram flour and low fat cream to this mixture.
- Natural color can also be added. And marinate is to be mixed well.
- After mixing it well, cover it and keep aside for about 30 minutes.
Marinate is ready, now it’s time to get ready for grilling
- Take a tray, line it with butter paper.
- Take a skewer and thread the potatoes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 250 degree Celsius.
- Keep the skewer on the tray and place it in the oven. Grill it until the potatoes turn burn. Make sure to maintain the same temperature for grilling.
- Once if they turn brown, the potatoes can be removed and they are to be brushed with oil
Both grilling and marinate is ready. Now it’s the turn for pan frying.
- Take pan which is suitable for shallow frying.
- Preheat the pan and add about 3 tablespoon of oil to it.
- Now, the tikka is to be coated with marinate.
- Once if they are coated, they are to be placed on the heated oil in the pan.
- Make sure to fry the tikka in medium flame.
- If one side of the tikka turns crisp, fry it on the other side.
- Fry until the potatoes becomes crisp and brown.
- Once if they turn brown remove it from the pan and place it on a paper towel.
- Now the aloo tikka is ready to serve
Aloo tikka can be used as the starter or even as the evening time snacks. While serving, they can be served along with mint chutney, lemon slices and onion as these will be a wonderful combination. People who need it spicier can add some chat masala to it while serving. With the same recipe and by replacing potatoes, paneer tikka can also be made.